INCLUDES FREE UPDATES FOR SWIFT 6 AND BEYOND! Click here for full details.
Pro Swift is a book and video tutorial course from the author of Hacking with Swift, and aims to help you learn powerful Swift techniques that will enable you to write code faster and more efficiently.
Your purchase includes the complete book as well as over 90 videos that demonstrate techniques hands-on – functional programming, variadic functions, closures, and error handling are all carefully explained.
About Pro Swift
I wrote Hacking with Swift to teach app development in a highly practical way: you learn while you code, and you always learn new techniques in a real-world context so you can see exactly how they are applied. Well, Pro Swift is no different: I've structured the course so you learn powerful, expressive Swift syntax that you can immediately start using in your own projects.
As well as the complete book – in PDF, ePub, Mobi and HTML – you'll also get a comprehensive set of videos that walk you through every technique so you can follow along in Xcode.
All code comes fully ready for Swift 5.0.
What's in the course?
- Object-oriented Swift: inheritance, polymorphism and encapsulation
- Protocol-oriented Swift and how it differs from OOP
- Functional programming user filter, map, flatMap and reduce
- Model-View-Controller vs Model-View-ViewModel
- Pro pattern matching using "for case let" and switch blocks
- Understanding how lazy vars can boost your performance
- When it's best to use reference types and value types
- How to apply generics to your own code
- Mastering enums and associated values
- How to write smart inner classes and functions
- Variadic functions and tuple destructuring
- Operator overloading
- Handling exceptions gracefully: try vs try! vs try?
- Sets, subsets, and unions
- The elusive @autoclosure keyword
- Adding documentation markup to your code
- How to write command-line Swift apps
- And much more!
What readers say
- "Pro Swift builds on the foundations of Hacking With Swift, and the beautifully clear explanations are even more appreciated when applied to more advanced topics." – Simon Wolf
- "I've read it thoroughly and my basic knowledge and understanding of Swift has been elevated to a new level." – Johan Kesoyan
- "Pro Swift takes your knowledge to the next level using practical and understandable examples. All major topics are covered." – Richard Lowe
Download a free sample!
Pro Swift includes over 90 videos plus an accompanying guidebook. To give you a taste of what you'll learn, here are four of those videos:
- Pattern matching using where: http://bit.ly/2cmMyTP
- Nil coalescing: http://bit.ly/2cm7Zni
- Shorthand closure syntax: http://bit.ly/2cHWPbO
- Optional flatMap: http://bit.ly/2cEbV3g
Note: the videos are all recorded at high resolution, but will stream at low resolution. If you want to see how they look when delivered to buyers, make sure you download the videos rather than stream them.
The Hacking with Swift guarantee
We want everyone to be happy with all the Hacking with Swift courses they buy, both now and in the future, which is why all our books come with free lifetime Swift updates and free bonus content with our Frequent Flyer Club, and we also encourage folks to join our Slack community to help solve problems.
However, if you aren't happy with a course you bought from us, we offer a 30-day No Questions Asked refund policy. This applies to all books and video courses purchased through Gumroad, which is our primary distributor. So, if you aren't happy with your purchase, if you changed your mind, or if you just bought the wrong thing by accident, we can refund your purchase up to 30 days after it was made.
- This book is for Swift developers with at least a few months of experience. You don't need to have read Hacking with Swift to follow this course, but it would help.
- All code is written for Swift 5.0.
- Neither the book or the videos have any DRM attached.
- The course focuses on the Swift language, so it is equally useful for macOS developers as it is for iOS developers.
- You can contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @twostraws.