INCLUDES FREE UPDATES FOR SWIFT 6 AND BEYOND! Click here for full details.
POWER UP YOUR DESKTOP
Whether you have existing iOS skills or you're starting fresh, you can learn macOS coding by building real-world projects with Swift 5.7 and Xcode – all you need is in this course.
- 100% Ventura: You can always be guaranteed you're learning the latest, greatest Apple technologies because all my tutorials are written for macOS 13.
- 100% Swift 5.7: Don't waste time with out of date tutorials – here you can learn smart, powerful, and expressive Swift the way it was meant to be written.
- 100% Practical: You learn Swift while you make real macOS projects, which means you get to apply your new skills immediately and see them work in context.
- 100% Proven: I've already taught thousands of people how to build iOS apps, and now I'll help you transfer your skills to macOS and unleash the power of your desktop.
This book is fully updated for SwiftUI, although you can still download the older AppKit edition of the book if you prefer.
Hacking with macOS follows the same approach I used with Hacking with Swift: small, standalone projects that teach individual techniques starting from scratch, so you end up with a huge library of finished projects you can develop further or use as the base for something entirely new.
What's in the course?
Hacking with macOS teaches you Swift and SwiftUI frameworks through real-world projects. There's a comprehensive Swift introduction for beginners, but I'm also packing the book with hints and tips that help you transfer your existing iOS skills to macOS painlessly.
While building projects, you'll learn all this and more:
- How SwiftUI on macOS differs from SwiftUI on iOS.
- How to build powerful, flexible layouts using SwiftUI – stacks, grids, images, buttons, color pickers, and more.
- How to build apps that look great in multi-window and tabbed user environments, including menu bars and documents.
- Custom drawing using SwiftUI's Canvas, as well as rendering text using Markdown.
- Ensuring great integration with macOS, including custom Settings, About windows, drag and drop, menu bar apps, and more.
- Working with the filesystem, including reading and writing local and remote data from JSON.
- Building command-line apps to power up your Mac's terminal.
- Checking and upgrading your app's accessibility, for great integration with VoiceOver.
- Handling mouse and keyboard events, animation, networking, concurrency, audio, and more.
- How to create high-performance, physics-enabled 2D games using SpriteKit.
BONUS: If you prefer to use AppKit rather than Swift, Hacking with macOS also includes the classic edition of my macOS book teaching you to build 18 AppKit projects – it comes free with your purchase!
Download a free sample!
Will it teach me Swift?
I've done my best to make sure this book is accessible to everyone: if you're just starting out I'll make sure and explain every concept, but if you're coming from iOS there are dozens of tips to help you transfer your existing skills to macOS.
Hacking with macOS comes with the same packed Swift introduction you get with Hacking with Swift, but after that it turns to focus on the powerful platform features that lie at the core of macOS.
What will I get?
You'll get the complete book and all project tutorials as ePub, PDF, and HTML, all without any DRM. Your purchase includes both the SwiftUI and AppKit editions of the book, so you can follow whichever you prefer.
The Hacking with Swift guarantee
We want everyone to be happy with all the Hacking with Swift courses they buy, both now and in the future, which is why all our books come with free lifetime Swift updates and free bonus content with our Frequent Flyer Club, and we also encourage folks to join our Slack community to help solve problems.
However, if you aren't happy with a course you bought from us, we offer a 30-day No Questions Asked refund policy. This applies to all books and video courses purchased through Gumroad, which is our primary distributor. So, if you aren't happy with your purchase, if you changed your mind, or if you just bought the wrong thing by accident, we can refund your purchase up to 30 days after it was made.
Any other questions?
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me @twostraws, and I'll do my best to help.
You get the SwiftUI and AppKit editions of the book with all projects in ePub, PDF, and HTML, all DRM-free.